This pack has been researched using archive Working Timetables, rolling stock allocation and livery records, photographic records, and other source materials. What you see is hopefully a realistic representation of the varied workings and rolling stock to be seen on the North Wales coast line during Summer 1993.
In order to do this, many add-on products are utilised. There are eight scenarios, giving over fifteen hours of driving time. Key features include :
* Drive classes 31, 37, 43 (HST), 47, 101, 142, 156, and 158.
* A mixture of fast and stopping services
* Variations in weather
* Operational requirements such as locomotive run-rounds and locomotive changes
* Locomotive fault affecting one service
* Sunday engineering work necessitating single-line working
* Request stops
* Accurate A.I. traffic reflecting the Summer 1993 timetable, with realistic stock allocations and liveries
SCENARIO DETAILS :
1D37 09.51 Manchester Victoria to Holyhead
Traction : 142060 + 142023
Duration : 100 minutes
Route covered : Chester – Holyhead
Problems on the Southport line this morning meant that the class 37-haluled rake of coaches didn’t reach Manchester in order to form this boat train to Holyhead. The only stock available was a pair of class 142 units, which you will now be working forward from Chester.
1D57 06.35 Crewe to Llandudno / 2D53 08.00 Llandudno to Holyhead
Traction : 158770
Duration : 85 minutes
Route covered : Crewe – Llandudno – Llandudno Jn
On a misty September morning drive a limited stop service down the Coast to Llandudno, then return to Llandudno Jn with a stopping service bound for Holyhead.
1D70 16.56 (Fridays only) Crewe to Llandudno
Traction : 31188 or 37009
Duration : 90 minutes
Route covered : Crewe – Llandudno – Llandudno Sidings
Maintenace requirements on the booked class 37/4 means that Crewe depot have had to allocate Civil Engineers’ 31188 on this Fridays-only limited stop additional working to the seaside. An alternative
version of this scenario is now included from v2.0, featuring 37009 as the
1D86 08.53 London Euston to Holyhead
Traction : 47500
Duration : 135 minutes
Route covered : Crewe – Holyhead – Holyhead Sidings
A shortage of HST sets on this high Summer Saturday means that Old Oak Common have had to send a Thames Valley commuter set of mark 1 and 2 coaches out to cover this working to and from Holyhead. Re-engine the service at Crewe and head for Holyhead doing your best to minimise the delay. Now repainted out of its celebrity GWR livery and shorn of her ‘Great Western’ nameplates, 47500 is now just another RES loco.
1D87 10.15 London Euston to Bangor
Traction : 43145 + 43141
Duration : 105 minutes
Route covered : Crewe – Bangor
On a stormy July Friday, take a daytime Intercity service down the coast. On
Saturdays this service runs through to Holyhead, but on weekdays there is a Regional Railways loco-hauled service which follows you from Llandudno Junction, then connects at Bangor for Holyhead. At this time, HSTs for the Holyhead services were supplied from the Western Region pool and ran empty from Old Oak Common to Euston and vice-versa.
1K67 16.00 Holyhead to Crewe
Traction : 37407
Duration : 140 minutes
Route covered : Holyhead Depot – Holyhead – Crewe
It’s a Summer Saturday and 37407 has arrived in Holyhead with a fault. Unable to be repaired at Holyhead, you will need to isolate two of the six traction motors. You will be driving its return working as far as Crewe with reduced power.
1V58 16.00 Holyhead to Cardiff Central / 1K66 17.52 Chester to Crewe
Traction : 156461 + 158827
Duration : 140 minutes
Route covered : Holyhead – Crewe
One train a day links north and south Wales, operated by one of Cardiff Canton’s class 158s and on weekdays running via Crewe. On Sundays, the southbound train runs combined with a Newton Heath-based Sprinter. The two divide at Chester; the Cardiff train reversing and running via Wrexham, and the leading unit forming a link to Crewe. You will be driving as far as Crewe with the front portion. It wouldn’t be Sunday without engineering works, and single line working is in force between Penmaenmawr and Llandudno Jn.
2D47 15.00 Holyhead to Llandudno Junction / 2D63 16.03 Llandudno Junction to Holyhead
Traction : 101688
Duration : 125 minutes
Route covered : Holyhead – Llandudno Jn – Holyhead
On a fine June afternoon drive an out-and-back local service from Holyhead to Llandudno Juntion and return, with 101688 which has recently transferred to Newton Heath from Scotland and still carries Strathclyde PTE livery. These trains call at all stations, but some are by request only. The guard will keep you updated on the stops required. If there are no passengers to alight at a station, you must reduce speed to be able to stop if required by passengers on the platform.
In order to enjoy these scenarios you will require the following add-ons
From Steam :
* North Wales Coastal Crewe to Llandudno route and North Wales Coastal route extension to Holyhead
* West Coast Main Line North route
* European Loco and Asset Pack
* Class 87 Loco Pack No longer a requirement from v2.0 of this pack.
* BR Regional Railways Class 101 Pack
* Strathclyde Class 101 Pack
From Armstrong Powerhouse :
* Class 31 Enhancement Pack #
* Class 37 Locomotive Pack Vol. 1
* Class 37 Locomotive Pack Vol. 2 (Added as a requirement from v2.0 of this pack)
* Class 43 (Valenta) / Mark 3 Enhancement Pack #
* Class 86 Enhancement Pack # (Added as a requirement from v2.0 of this pack)
* Class 90 + Mark 3 DVT Pack
* Class 101/117/121 Sound Pack Pro
* Class 142 DMU Pack
* Class 150/1 Enhancement Pack #
* Class 150/2 DMU Pack
* Class 156 DMU Pack
* Class 158 (Cummins) Enhancement Pack #
* Class 158 (Perkins) Enhancement Pack #
* Mark 1 Coach Pack Volume 1 (replaces former DT Mark 1 pack from v2.0 of this pack)
* Mark 2A – 2C Coach Pack
* Mark 2D – 2F Coach Pack
* Sky and Weather Enhancement Pack **
From Just Trains :
* Class 153 DMU Advanced Pack
* YGB ‘Seacow’ PlusPak Advanced (or Class 60 Advanced + Freight Wagons)
# – It is a given that the requirements associated with these products are also necessary.
** – The scenarios will function without the Sky and Weather EP, however the intended weather will not appear.
* v2.0 released April 2021. Class 87 loco pack
removed from requirements. AP (former DT) Mark 1 coach pack replaced by new AP
Mark 1 coach pack volume 1. AP Class 37 volume 2 loco pack, and Class 86
enhancement pack, added to requirements. Various formation changes within
scenarios. Alternative version of 1D70 scenario added featuring class 37/0.
Huge thanks to Alan Thomson for the encouragement to create this scenario pack and for hosting it on www.alanthomsonsim.com , and to all the developers whose creations have made these scenarios possible.