Class 323 Sound Pack25th March 2021
UPDATED 02/10/2021 to work in the DTG Cross City update.
DTG Cross City addon (v2)
AP class 365 EP https://www.armstrongpowerhouse.com/enhancements/multiple_unit/class_365_enhancement_pack
AP class 390 EP https://www.armstrongpowerhouse.com/sounds/multiple_unit3/class_390_sound_pack
– I have reconfigured the initial ‘UFO’ space invader sounds, to be loops rather than one shots (you’ve probably noticed they cut out in the DTG product if you accelerate or brake in anything other than max! These now work prototypically – the speed of the sound depends on the PBC position.
– The transformer hum volume now depends on load
– The fans now depend on reverser rather than PBC
– Bogie and Flange sounds (were missing in the DTG model)
– Somewhat semi – realistic motor sounds, within the limitation of a) my skillset and b) the complex machine that the 323 sounds like.
– Set tail lamps on as default front and rear driving cars
– Reduced intensity of head/tail lamp illumination and recalibrate the direction of headlamps.
– Balanced volume of ambient sounds in the Cross City route & removed Kuju style track sounds.
New in update 3 (02/10/2021)
* Updated to work on the DTG Cross City update that came with TS2022.
New in update 2 (07/04/2021)
* AI doesn’t turn lights off when stopping (Thanks to Matthew Wilson of VP for scripts)
* Reverser detent notches improved over default.
* DRA is set on when you join the cab
New in update on 27/03/2021:
* Spool up of converter fans
* Emergency brake cuts off regenerative brake sounds as per real life
* Balance external train volumes
* High Res LM logo decal, with thanks to ‘ChiefJack’
To install, open the downloaded zip so you see the Assets folder, readme & image. Navigate to your Railworks folder in another window. Drag the assets folder from the C323Sp.zip to an empty space in your Railworks folder. Overwrite all if asked.
Please note this may, or MAY NOT be an ongoing project. While the motor sounds are (IMHO) a vast improvement on the original, they are in no way perfect but give a ‘feel’ for the 323 rather than an exact representation.
The 323 motors are complex (an understatement) and have many notes and whine sounds which change very rapidly. To create a complete soundscape would mean fully recording a unit with a bogie mic to obtain useable sound loops at constant pitch. It’s possible Mr. Sealey might be able to provide extra sounds, and if so I will update this pack.
I cannot alter the rather quick door speed, nor the way the train powers up slightly before the pan makes contact with the wire.
If you have any modifications or can help improve these files, please contact me on Facebook (I’m a member of ATS group under this name.
Huge thanks to D. Sealey/DTG for original sounds supplied in the folders of the DTG 323, and credit to AP for using the 365 as a base for my blueprints. Hasan & Jack for feedback and testing. Matthew Wilson for scripting the lights, testing, and having the patience to answer my many questions. Cody for authentic 323 AWS audio. Max for aux spool up audio. Jack for HD LM decals.
Known Issues and caveats:
– The scripting with the 323 doesn’t seem to allow the driving car to send non standard TS controller sounds to the rear car (nd) (It’s basic – remember the HST prior to AP, where the trailing power car didn’t work) . This meant there were no motor sounds on the rear car without fudging the existing blueprints…
I’ve had to work around this by sending the reverser and throttle notch to the nd cars. This means if you change ends there will be an internal AWS test horn sounding in the non lead cabs. You can cancel this of course.
– Compressors don’t make sound (same excuse as above??), I’ve temporarily included a complete compressor sound which plays when you’ve stopped :/
– Occasionally the sounds of the rear driving motor car go out of sync. If anyone knows how to fix it, please LMK – I put it down to the throttleandbrake control not sending down the consist properly. For devs I’ve had to use applytoconsist=true to even get sound in the rear car. Scripting issue perhaps at DTG’s side?
Re-skins: you will have to use the train bin blueprints from this, rather than the original DTG version or you’ll just get default sounds and/or no rear car motor sounds.
Video and update news will be @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsDcqn0M4p-hvhAGDZwiE-A
Hi I installed the 390 & 365 packs but then copied the 323 files into the asset folder and get a train.bin error. Is there a step by step instruction for the Class 323 files?
Do you mean tracks.bin? Yeah its normal to do this on career scenarios as per readme. Press F2 and the the cancel button. Theres also a version of the sounds provided with the VP Class 323 WM reskin & scenario pack at Vulcan Productions which comes as an installer exe if that helps you?
I got train.bin on one scenario – the early ECS one and tracks.bin on 2 or 3 others. So I just stuck with the ones that didn’t get that but thank you for the info Steve – I’ll give that a go.
i have the default sounds and this sound pack overlapping
Hi there, just wondering if you NEED the class 390 and 365 AP EPs for this to work?
Its essential requirements so,yes,you do
Hi, the AP enhancement packs listed in the requirements have DLC requirements of their own. Would you be able to advise me on whether these are needed for the 323 improvements to work?
I’m not 100% sure what you mean Jack. The AP EP’s for the 390 and 365 only need requirements because they are EP’s for DTG’s 390 and 365. You don’t NEED them installed I don’t think, but you normally wouldn’t buy the AP EP unless you HAD them installed, if that makes sense!
Yeah, I realise this might sound a little odd 😂 I’m willing to pay for the AP packs *just* to be able to drive 323s on my local line without the sounds ruining it, but if I have to also get the extra £50’s worth of Dovetail DLC that they target, it becomes hard to justify.
Just wanted to say thanks for this patch, it’s a huge improvement and sounds very close to the real thing at least to my ears.
I keep getting a ‘can’t find tracks.bin’ file error when this is installed. Rolled it back and is ok, install patch again and get the same error message. Any ideas on the solution?
Is that with the default career scenarios ? Just hit F2 on your keyboard when the error shows . It’s because I changed the performance slightly.
Yes apologies, was with the default career scenarios. Saving appears to have fixed that…thanks 🙂
However the accelerations sounds are still cutting out when pulling away, tail lights aren’t on by default etc.
Not sure what I’m doing wrong
Assuming you have a standard steam install path..
Open windows explorer. Go to Steam/steamapps/common/
Now Open the zip file so it’s in a separate window.
Drag the Railworks folder from the zip into an EMPTY space in the Common folder.
Standard other than I have my installs in my D drive as opposed to C…far too much DLC to fit on my C drive nowadays :-).
Tried it, no such luck. Tried clearing cache as well.
Wierd. DM me on FB with a photo of your assets/crosscity folder?
Which Steve Green are you? There are lots LOL
Thanks for doing this Steve, very much appreciated.
Cheers DPS. I hope you do some scenarios. I’d love some fancy quick drives with some suitable AI too 😉
Me too Steve excellent, it is driveable now!
Thank you for this Steve, much appreciated!
I can only echo what others here have already said, Big Improvement! – thank you for your work and kindly making this available to all, cheers!
Absolutely stunning work, has made the 323 the unit it always should have been!
You have brought the train to life for sure. Many thanks!
Brilliant, this makes a world of difference, Thamk you 🙂
Absolutely fantastic! This has instantly made the 323 much more enjoyable to drive! Thanks for all the hard work making this and is muchly appreciated within the community!
I can’t thank you enough for this